20 September 2005

To be 18, writing poetry

Dear Sarah,

Thank you for your query letter. I know what it's like to be 18, writing poetry, and not knowing what to do with it. I was there myself.

I don't know where in Canada you live so I can't suggest any specific local resources except to say that there are provincial writers groups with newsletters, workshops, resource/reference materials, information/guidines on how and where to submit work for publication, and much more. They are open to everyone.

In addition, many universities & colleges, even public school board continuing education programs, have a creative writing course or two. Your local library might know of a local writers peer workshop group. If you are still in high school, your school might be able to access a provincial writers-in-the-schools program.

The Canadian Poetry Association promote a Do-it-yourself (DIY) ethic with its "Participoet!" slogan to encourage the writing, reading, promotion and publishing of poetry through the creation of local chapters creating their own activities. The more professional League of Canada Poets, which does has student and associate memberships available, has developed extensive website resources at two websites: www.youngpoets.ca and www.poets.ca

This small publishing firm does not have staff. Therefore, beyond letters, we don't really have the staff time or resources to invest in exploring how you might go about getting your poetry published. We do, however, wish you all the best for you and your poetry.

Most sincerely,

Joe Blades
Publisher

On 19 Sep 05, at 0:41, Sarah wrote:

Hello,

I am 18 years old and I have been interested in getting my poetry published. I've been writing poetry from an early age and would love to one day publish a collection of my poems because I believe that every teenage poet will be able to understand and relate to it. I would love to seperate a book into chapters and title it: _____________. If anyone at your company could look at my work or suggest how to go about getting my poetry published I would be honoured. Thanks for your time!

Sincerely,
Sarah



shirt: beet red prairie-T
loc: BJP editor's desk
temp: 8 C
sound: Fiftymen, After Darkfall

No comments: